Thursday, December 27, 2007

I'm a climber...

I don't mean to climb up on soapboxes all the time...but I find myself up there so very often. I'm afraid that is a sign of being judgmental. I don't want to be judgmental...I prefer passionate, sure, or some other adjective that means that I firmly believe what I say (sorry...I'm tired).

One of my most often summited soapboxes has to do with Christian t-shirts. I'm ok with Christian t-shirts...if they are original. But, the ones where we have stolen the logos of non-Jesus products and turned them around to be all Jesus-y. Really, folks? We were created in the image of God...of a creative God. Why can't we come up with something pithy and catchy ourselves? Ok, so the contents of this soapbox, for me, might come from the artist in me. I love watching people create the art that they love...musicians, writers, painters.

Anyway, my current soapbox has to do with the whole "Jesus is the reason for the season" and "keeping Christ in Christmas" thing. And, I know, I'm not going to win any friends by saying what I'm about to say...but its what I think and if you have a rebuttal, bring it...I'd sort of like to be wrong about this.

The reality is, Jesus isn't the reason for this season...He's the reason for any season, the reason for any good thing. Why are we making such a stinking big deal about Him being the reason for celebration now and not the rest of the year? And, keeping Christ in Christmas...Christmas is a tradition started to counteract a pagan holiday, not to celebrate Jesus. If Jesus is the reason for the season and we're working so dad-gum hard to keep in Christmas, why are we, Christians, spending so much on Christmas gifts. Why do we put ourselves in debt...willingly putting ourselves into something that enslaves us and makes us less available to ministry to celebrate Jesus? I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's not what He intends for us.

I definitely bought/made Christmas presents this year...but I didn't give them as a way to celebrate Jesus. I didn't give them out of love for Jesus...I gave them out of love and appreciation for the people they were for. Granted, yes, the things I love about the people I gave gifts to are a direct result of the work Jesus has done in their lives. But, I find it ridiculous and frustrating when people say Christmas is all about Jesus and act another way...and these same people won't talk to people about Jesus the rest of the year...or worse, caution me not to talk to people about Jesus.

Ok...enough soapbox.

That said...Jesus did some pretty amazing things for me this Christmas. I learned a lot. I'll share that stuff later. :)

Love you, friends!

No comments: