Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Whoa...slow down, cowboy

So, my best friend from high school...we've known each other since sixth grade, oh 1992 (holy cow, that was fourteen years ago). Really, though we've only been friends since seventh grade since we hated each other the first year. She thought I was stuck up and I, well, I was flat out jealous of her. But once our parents made us be in the same Pioneer Clubs group we were the best of friends, pretty much, until we graduated and I moved away. So, last summer she married her high school boyfriend, who, by the way, I introduced her to. (I plan to take credit for that until the day I die.) Last month they had their first baby and she just emailed me the first pics I've seen.

There was, of course, the obligatory pic of the little family in the hospital moments after the baby was born. Jacob and Elisabeth look exactly the same as they did the day I moved away after graduation. Exactly. I'm not sure why this surprises me since people still ask what grade I'm in. But something about looking at a picture of the two of them with a baby, with their baby, that made me suddenly realize maybe we aren't as old as I thought.

When Lis and I were in eighth grade, our youth pastor married a girl we adored. At the time, we never thought we would be their age or getting married or graduated from college or any of that kind of grown-up stuff. We are probably right around that age now.


So, I've been thinking lately...about boys. And I've been wondering if I'm brave enough to post what I've been thinking. I don't know if I'd call this bravery...more an act made in the stupor caused by sinus congestion and lack of sleep.

So, I've been debating with myself over the merits of making a list (not necessarily written) of the characteristics I am looking for/waiting on in a boy versus just living and seeing what God brings me. On the one hand, I feel like making a list puts God in a box. I mean, if I'm only looking for someone with those traits what great guy might I miss? But on the other hand, if I just sit back and wait for Rando Guy, I may overlook something that is important to me.

I'm still contemplating this, but the conclusion I am coming to is that God is not only the fulfiller of desires but also the giver of desires. One of my favorite aspects of God's character is that He gives a heart a passion and then makes a way to fulfill that passion. So, I figure if I have, in my heart, the desires for a certain type of guy then perhaps those desires are coming from the fulfiller in preparation to recognize who He gives as fulfillment. If that makes sense.

Any thoughts?

Look up, friends.

No comments: