Saturday, February 16, 2008

The Misadventures of In Sane Kids

Last summer when my folks were getting ready to move to St. Kitts, my 5-year-old sister, Ruthie, ask a lot of questions. The great part about it was that she didn't understand the name of this great place so she'd say things like, "When we're in Sane Kids will we..." So, when my family moved here and purchased a boat the only appropriate name for the vessel was In Sane Kids.

I got here Thursday night. Yesterday, we went out on the boat. We went snorkeling and saw some pretty incredible fish and sea urchins. It was great. I fell off the roof of this:



It's a dive platform in a cove for the scuba divers. My brother and his friends climb onto the roof and jump off...they love it. I climbed up there with my brother. As I was about to jump, I slipped and fell. Fortunately (read: praise God!), I didn't hit anything but the water. I did, however, manage to jack myself in the nose...I think I was trying to hold my nose, but I ended up punching myself. I have a pretty sizable bruise on my leg from hitting the water...and I jacked up my shoulder...not really sure how that happened, but it's a result of the fall.

We went back out in the boat today with some friends of my family. Dale is the mom and she runs the school my brothers go to. Regina and Ashton are her kids. We, pretty much, did the same stuff today just with more people. After the snorkeling and jumping, we went tubing and Daniel rode the wakeboard. This is him on his wakeboard:



Daniel was in the water with Ashton giving him tips on how to ride the wakeboard when the engine started making some weird (read: really not good) noises so we decided just to head back to the marina and call it a day. On the way back to the marina, the engine quit entirely. Well, not entirely...the transmission gave out. We were stuck, literally, on a boat in the Caribbean ocean. The most comical part of the experience was that, from where we were, we could see our house. We were, probably, a mile out from the coast. Oh, did I mention that a couple weeks ago the VHF radio (the communication tool for just such an occasion) was stolen off the boat a couple weeks ago? Yeah, we were stuck. Fortunately (also read: praise God!) my dad has made friends with this Irish guy, Seamus, at the marina. He called Seamus, who was not far from the marina. (At this point, I must say, nothing on this island is far from anything else on the island...it doesn't take more than 10 minutes to get anywhere, from anywhere.) Seamus was not far from the marina so he and his buddy, Bob, went straight there and grabbed Wayne (I have another story about Wayne, ask later) and came straight out on Seamus' boat, the Flying Lady. Wayne works at the marina...he's amazing with boats. They came out and towed us back into the marina.

So, that was our adventure for the day. :) It was fun...I definitely got some sun today.

Tomorrow morning, my mom and I are flying to St. Martin until Tuesday. We plan to eat a lot of French food, buy jewelry and get some more sun. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well written article.